September 9, 2010

Failures

I started designing games a long time ago, and honestly, most of them were terrible.  You won't see most of them because the designs got lost, or any of various other events.  But I've learned since then, and decided I want to make an RPG.  Not just any RPG though, because there are already all those RPGs on the market.  No, I want a space racer game that is fast and fun.  And so I started Velocity.

I finished the initial document.  I might even share it some day.  It had a few good ideas, but was hung up on some established game design, and I think it weakened the concept.  So I'm starting over, and I'm bringing you along with me.  If you ever wanted to design a game, and just don't know where to start, I hope my failures can help you along.

I've found I like failures.  They suck when they happen, but they give you an example of what not to do.  And studying what didn't work is always good for you.  And, keeping Thomas Edison in mind:

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. -- Thomas Edison

I don't want to give up on my goals just because I screwed up.  Here goes nothing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment